Toll-Free Number (TFN) Verification
To send SMS and MMS messages in the US and Canada you need your own number. For most ClickSend customers, the right type of number is a Toll Free Number (TFN). Every single TFN needs to be verified or risk having content blocked. This is a result of changing carrier requirements in the US and Canada. Why? Verifying TFNs is designed to reduce spam and combat fraud. But don’t worry, our team is all over this new requirement.
Why do I need to verify my TFN?
Here’s the lowdown on what’s happening with TFN verification requirements.
- US and Canadian cellular network carriers have introduced a new requirement: all existing toll-free numbers (TFNs) need to be verified for legitimate business use to keep sending messages.
- This new requirement is designed to help combat fraud, reduce spam and ensure all existing TFNs comply with industry best practice. It applies to all messaging service providers, not just ClickSend.
What are the benefits?
Verified TFNs help reduce the likelihood of:
- Your number being wrongly flagged and blocked for prohibited activity (e.g. spam or fraud).
- Your messages being flagged and filtered for containing high-risk keywords.
- Unlock higher daily and monthly volume limits.
Plus, it means you’ll be able to keep sending messages from verified TFNs, at no extra charge.
What do I need to do?
From the ClickSend Dashboard, check your numbers and view the verification status. For any numbers that are still Unregistered, follow the link to the form to verify your number. It’ll take around 10-15 minutes to complete. Here’s the kind of information we’ll need from you:
- Your name and email address.
- Your registered business name, website, and address.
- How many messages your business sends every month.
- Your primary use for TFN messages.
- Some sample messages.
- Some screenshots and photos of these messages.
Please include as much detail as possible.
What happens if I don’t comply?
TFNs need to be verified before you can send any messages. This is a network requirement that lets the telecommunications carriers know who you are are, and the purpose of your messages. They also want confidence that your contacts have opted in to receive messages, having given consent to receive text messages from you.
Note: prior to November 8th 2023, Unverified TFNs numbers could still be used to test, and allowed low volumes of transactional messages (up to 500 / day). Unfortunately this changes on the aforementioned date, and messages must be submitted to the Carriers before any messages can be sent.
Once you complete your form and we have approved it, it will be sent to the carriers.
Registration Status and timeline
This means no action has been taken to verify the number, and you need to complete a Verification Form from within the Numbers page in the ClickSend Dashboard.
Cannot be used
This means you have completed a Verification Form, but ClickSend still need to review and approve the form. This takes us 1-2 days.
Cannot be used
This means ClickSend have completed a Verification Form, but it has been sent to the Carriers for full approval. This takes up to 6 weeks.
This means your number has been Verified and is ready for use
This means there was something on your Verification Form that needs clarification, or you need to make a change to your business process before your TFN can be approved. You will need to resubmit your Verification Form to restart the process.
Cannot be used
What happens if I have multiple TFNs?
If you have multiple TFNs, you must have a legitimate reason. This could be due to:
- Having various contact centers.
- Having multiple store locations.
- Needing regional coverage.
Just make sure you document these details on the verification form. Feel free to reach out to your support team, who can help you with your application.
How many TFN verification applications can I submit?
You can submit as many TFNs as you need for verification. However, each business case requires its own application.
Here’s how it works:
- You can submit - multiple TFNs for the same use case on a single application.
- But you can’t submit - individual TFNs for multiple use cases on the same application.
Plus, it’s good to know:
- All TFNs on a single application should have the same use case.
- The business listed on the application must be the same business creating and sending the messages.
- Resellers can’t list themselves as the business and submit their customers’ TFNs in bulk.
Does it cost anything to verify my TFN?
Zilch. Nada. Nothing. Verifying your TFN(s) is free of charge, no matter how many you have.
What happens once I’ve submitted the form?
- We’ll share this with the TFN provider. They’ll review the information you’ve provided and either reject or approve your application, or request additional details.
- We’ll process your TFN application. It’ll take between 4-6 weeks.
- We’ll be in touch as soon as your TFN verification has been approved.