Toll-Free Number (TFN) Verification
Some significant changes are happening in the world of Toll-Free Numbers (TFNs). From September 1, 2022, every single existing TFN will need to be verified – otherwise, all content will be blocked.
This is a result of changing carrier requirements in the US and Canada. Why? Verifying TFNs is designed to reduce spam and combat fraud. But don’t worry, our team is all over this new requirement.
Why do I need to verify my TFN?
Here’s the lowdown on what’s happening with TFN verification requirements.
- US and Canadian cellular network carriers have introduced a new requirement: all existing toll-free numbers (TFNs) need to be verified for legitimate business use to keep sending messages.
- This new requirement is designed to help combat fraud, reduce spam and ensure all existing TFNs comply with industry best practice. It applies to all messaging service providers, not just ClickSend.
What are the benefits?
Verified TFNs help reduce the likelihood of:
- Your number being wrongly flagged and blocked for prohibited activity (e.g. spam or fraud).
- Your messages being flagged and filtered for containing high-risk keywords.
Plus, it means you’ll be able to keep sending messages from verified TFNs, at no extra charge.
What do I need to do?
We will email you a link to the form for your registered number. It’ll take around 10-15 minutes to complete. Here’s the kind of information we’ll need from you:
- Your name and email address.
- Your registered business name, website, and address.
- How many messages your business sends every month.
- Your primary use for TFN messages.
- Some sample messages.
- Some screenshots and photos of these messages.
Please include as much detail as possible and submit it before September 1, 2022. Then, our team will take it from there.
What happens if I don’t comply?
Unfortunately, if you don’t get your TFN verified by September 1, 2022, you won’t be able to send messages via that number. You’ll still have access to all your other messaging portal features and won’t be charged anything extra.
What happens if I have multiple TFNs?
If you have multiple TFNs, you must have a legitimate reason. This could be due to:
- Having various contact centers.
- Having multiple store locations.
- Needing regional coverage.
Just make sure you document these details on the verification form. Feel free to reach out to your support team, who can help you with your application.
How many TFN verification applications can I submit?
You can submit as many TFNs as you need for verification. However, each business case requires its own application.
Here’s how it works:
- You can submit - multiple TFNs for the same use case on a single application.
- But you can’t submit - individual TFNs for multiple use cases on the same application.
Plus, it’s good to know:
- All TFNs on a single application should have the same use case.
- The business listed on the application must be the same business creating and sending the messages.
- Resellers can’t list themselves as the business and submit their customers’ TFNs in bulk.
Does it cost anything to verify my TFN?
Zilch. Nada. Nothing. Verifying your TFN(s) is free of charge, no matter how many you have.
Can I keep sending messages during the verification process?
Yes, you can – right up until September 30.
But after this date, you won’t be able to send messages while your application is being processed. That’s why it's so important to complete your form before September 1.
What happens once I’ve submitted the form?
- We’ll share this with the TFN provider. They’ll review the information you’ve provided and either reject or approve your application, or request additional details.
- We’ll process your TFN application. It’ll take between 1-2 weeks.
- We’ll be in touch as soon as your TFN verification has been approved.
If your verification is successfully processed before September 30, 2022, your TFN service will continue as usual, without any disruption.