United States of America (USA)
The USA has very specific messaging restrictions and a direct connection is necessary in order to ensure message delivery to the numerous networks. ClickSend uses an extremely high-quality, direct connection in order to deliver your SMS to the USA.
All SMS sent to the US must originate from either a pre-approved long number or short code that is associated with your account.
P2P (person-to-person) traffic may be sent using a ClickSend US long virtual number. You can purchase long virtual numbers through your account dashboard.
A2P (application-to-person) traffic, such as bulk notifications, must be sent to the US via a short code. Contact us to have this setup on your account.
Shared Long Codes
This is the default option. Replies are supported. This should not be used for marketing messages. Since the numbers used are shared with other clients, this may affect your deliverability.
Dedicated Long Codes
Replies are supported. This should not be used for marketing messages. Since only you use the numbers on your account, your deliverability is increased. The pricing is the same as the shared long codes option. Simply purchase a dedicated number and use it to send out your messages.
Shared Short Codes
Replies are supported. This option gives you the highest level of deliverability. Contact us to have this setup on your account for SMS.
All MMS Campaigns will be sent on a shared short code in the US for the highest level of deliverability.
The top 3 networks can accept multi-part (concatenated) messages (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile). Only Sprint and US Cellular do not accept multi-part messages. We can't guarantee the delivery of multi-part messages to the US since it's outside of our control. It's best to run your own testing for your specific use case.
Using your own mobile number
Unfortunately you can't use your own mobile number in the US. You can only set the sender ID (from number) as a ClickSend number you've purchased.
Alpha sender ID (from name)
Unfortunately the USA doesn't support an alpha sender ID e.g. (MyCompany). This is a network restriction and it outside of our control.
Long virtual numbers
The feature restrictions for long-virtual-number originators are as follows:
- Limited numeric sender only --> In the “from” field you need to specify your pre-approved US virtual number in international format e.g. 18479121345 (available in the Numbers tab) . Otherwise your message will get rejected with reject code 15 Illegal Sender Address - rejected.
- Carriers do not send handset delivery receipts. Intermediate DLR (accepted status) will be provided as soon as the message reaches the operator's platform.
- Binary and VCard are not supported.
- Long/concatenated SMS and unicode are supported by the US but we cannot guarantee delivery across all the local carriers.
- Euro symbol (€) and some accented characters are not supported.
- You may send a maximum of 1 SMS per second and per virtual number in the US due to local carriers regulations. If you send messages more quickly, the message(s) will be rejected. If you require higher throughput, you can purchase more numbers and spread your traffic across your numbers. E.g. 10 numbers = 10 SMS per second.
- Maximum of 250 messages per day and per long virtual number. If this is exceeded your number will be blocked and will no longer work.
- Carriers will expect traffic to be bi-directional.
- Repetitive URL's and keywords in the SMS body of long codes will be blocked by the carriers.
- Short Code routes support handset delivery receipts, binary and unicode encoding, long/concatenated messaging on most carriers.
- There is no daily maximum of messages per day restriction on our short code routes and higher throughput is supported.
- T-Mobile and Sprint users may opt-out of receiving messages from short codes to reduce the amount of marketing messages they receive. It is up to them to contact their provider to remove this.
USA Delivery Issues
If you're having issues with SMS delivery to the US, we can switch your traffic to a shared or dedicated short code. Please contact our 24/7 support staff with answers to these questions: https://help.clicksend.com/SMS/usa-short-code-request
Sending from virtual numbers to virtual numbers is restricted in the US due to fraud prevention.
We don't accept the following content on our numbers due to the network deeming it 'high risk'. You may apply for a dedicated short code for this content.
- Loans or financial offerings
- Credit repair programs
- Debt forgiveness/reduction/consolidation.
- Get rich quick/work from home content.
- Tax relief programs
- Investment opportunities