MailChimp - Send automated bulk SMS from Campaign Manager
You can schedule bulk text messages from Campaign Manager in MailChimp when you add the ClickSend SMS integration. Campaign Manager helps marketers plan communications by providing a full view of their campaigns in Mailchimp.
What you need
- ClickSend API credentials. Get them by creating a ClickSend account here.
- A standard MailChimp subscription to access Campaign Manager. See MailChimp pricing here.
It’s easy to set up the integration. Just use the low code step-by-step guide below.
- Go to 'Campaign Manager' and create a campaign.
- Click the date you want your bulk text messages to send. Then, choose ‘SMS webhook’.
- Name your webhook. Just for your reference.
- Paste the SMS endpoint URL into the URL destination field.SMS endpoint URL: https://rest.clicksend.com/v3/sms/send. See the SMS endpoint documentation here.
- Get your API credentials here. Then, type in your username and paste your API key into the authentication fields.
- Scroll down to reach the payload section. Copy-paste the example code below into the payload. You can customise the body of the message using merge tags (see tip below).
"body": "Hi *|FNAME|*, this is the message body"
It’s important to keep "source": "mailchimp" parameter on the payload. Just so you can check your SMS history.
You can manage your merge tags by going to > Audience > All contacts > Settings > Merge tags in the MailChimp dashboard.
- Select time to send your bulk SMS. You can edit the date here too.
- You can filter which contact or contacts you'll SMS by using segmenting or tag.
- When you've finished composing your message and filling in any other fields, click the ‘Schedule SMS’ button to save the webhook.
That’s it. An automated bulk SMS will be sent to your campaign Audience.
If you’re having problems, please check the following:
- Check your Authentication. It should be using your ClickSend's username and API key not your ClickSend password.
- Make sure you have credit in your balance. Check and top up here.
- Fill in all required parameters in the payload. Required fields are
- Can I send messages from a business name?
- Yes, however some countries do not support business names. Find out which countries support sending via a business name here.
- Note that your business name needs to be 11 characters or less, without spaces.
- How do I add a business name as the sender of my messages?
-You need to add the parameter
"from": "MyCompany"in the payload.
- Where can I get replies on my messages?
-Find your outbound and inbound SMS history here.